Its official! The MDNA Tour DVD / Blu-Ray will be released on September 9 worldwide and September 10 in the US.
Purchase your copy today!
The show will be released in multiple formats including Blu-Ray, DVD, and 2-CD set – each featuring their own cover.
2 – CD
As of right now, the 2CD format will not be available in the US. The US will get a digital release only via iTunes and Amazon. Stay tuned for more details.
This is what we know about Madonna’s past DVD releases:
- The Drowned World Tour was Madonna’s last concert to be broadcast LIVE on HBO (previously both The Blond Ambition Tour and The Girlie Show were aired live on the pay network in the USA). The concert was filmed on August 26 in Madonna’s hometown of Detroit and aired live. An edited version (different camera angles, etc) of the show was released on DVD on November 13, 2001 in all regions.
- The Re-invention Tour was originally intended to be broadcast on CBS. The last two nights of the tour in Lisbon were filmed and CBS reportedly offered Madonna $10 million to broadcast a two hour special of the concert. For unknown reasons (many have speculated different reasons as to why, but no official statement was ever made), this never aired. Footage from the concert recorded in Paris was included in Madonna’s documentary “I’m Going to Tell You a Secret” which premiered on MTV on October 21, 2005. A DVD/CD of the documentary was released on June 20, 2006.
- The Confessions Tour was recorded on August 15 and 16 (Madonna’s birthday) at Wembley Arena. After an agreement with HBO could not be reached, NBC was contracted to air The Confessions Tour – Live from London on November 22, 2006. The television version was edited to omit the “Sorry Interlude”, “Drowned World/Substitute for Love”, “Paradise (not for me)”, and “Lucky Star”. The performance of “Live to Tell” was also heavily edited in the US. On January 26, 2007, the full show was released on DVD.
- The Sticky and Sweet Tour DVD was filmed in December of 2008. On June 15, 2009, SKY 1 announced they would broadcast (an edited version of) the recording on July 6, 2009, right after the opening of the second leg of the tour. On September 19, the full, unedited version of the concert was aired on Latin American TV, while Americans had to wait until October 30, 2009 to view the show on EPIX and April 2, 2010 to view it on VH1. It was announced on January 12, 2010 that the DVD / Blu – Ray / CD would be released world wide on March 30, 2010 (April 6, 2010 in North America).
This is what we know about the MDNA Tour :
- November 16, 2012 - Madonna.com that the DVD for The MDNA Tour would be filmed in Miami on November 19 and 20.
We are happy to announce that Madonna’s MDNA Tour DVD will be filmed in Miami on November 19th & 20th!
If you are to attend one of Miami shows, get ready “to dance & sing, to get up and do your thing” as you could make it in the final cut…
This quickly put to rest any rumors that the recording of Madonna’s show at Olympia on July 26, 2012, which was live streamed via youtube would be the only recording of the MDNA Tour to be released.
- A few days after the Miami shows, on November 29, DOMYPROD, a French production company who produced the short promo video “Inside the DNA of MDNA” , as well as “Madonna : Live at Olympia” posted the following on their website :
DOMYPROD crossed the Atlantic to join Madonna at the American Airlines Arena in Miami on the last leg of her North American Tour for the international release of the MDNA Tour DVD by Stéphane SENNOUR / DOMYPROD and Danny Tull.
They also posted several pictures from Miami including photos of the staff in the editing room.
- Rumors were abundant throughout the coming months that the DVD would be released on March 18, 2013. These rumors were never officially confirmed and turned out to be false.
- February 11, 2013 – Good Morning America aired an interview with Cynthia McFaddon and Nicole Winhoffer, Madonna’s personal trainer. During the segment, footage of “Give Me All Your Luvin’” was aired, the first official footage from what we can expect to be the DVD of the MDNA Tour.
- February 14, 2013 - Madonna posted this shot from the Miami MDNA concert on her Instagram page with the comment ‘Working on the edit of the live concert!’
- March 17, 2013 - Madonna attended the GLAAD Awards to present Anderson Cooper with the Vito Russo Award. Before her speech a video of “Nobody Knows Me” was shown to guests. This footage again looked to be taken from the official release. Fans who were in attendance were smart enough to capture what the could and post clips online.
- March 18, 2013 - Madonna’s manager, Guy Oseary, took to Twitter to answer a fan’s question on when we would actually see the DVD:
- March 31, 2013 - Madonna again took to Instagram to update us on the MDNA Tour progress by posting a picture of her editor Danny Tull’s fingers as he continues to edit the live footage.
“The fingertips of my editor l Danny Tull after working 3 months on the DVD of MDNA concert! We still aren’t finished! G’@D. Bless you Danny boy!”
- May 4, 2013 - Brahim posted a photo of the MDNA crew from the rehearsals, the day MDNA went to number 1 on the charts. In the comments he said “very soon the DVD !! Looks amazing
- May 6, 2013 - fansite Madonnarama posted a teaser on the iphone app Vine of a behind the scenes video which is supposedly from the tour DVD – read all about that here.
- May 6, 2013 - Guy O. told twitter that the DVD is still not completed! We still anxiously await the release date!
- May 9, 2013 - Madonna.com announced the concert will air on EPIX in the US on June 22.
Premium network EPIX will premiere Madonna’s MDNA tour – an EPIX Original Concert Event – on June 22 at 8:00 pm ET. One of the most spectacular and controversial extravaganzas of 2012, Madonna: the MDNA Tour was filmed primarily in Miami as well as other locations. The MDNA Tour was the most successful and highest grossing tour of 2012 and was seen by over 2.2 million Madonna fans during the course of the 88 sold-out shows around the globe. The concert includes performances of several of her biggest hits including “Vogue”, “Like A Prayer” and “Hung Up.” She also performs songs from her MDNA album including “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” “Girl Gone Wild”, “Gang Bang” and “Turn Up the Radio.” The album debuted at No.1 in over 30 countries. Madonna, along with her seven member band, outstanding troupe of 27 dancers (all clothed in 1500 costumes) and state of the art visuals and sound electrified crowds around internationally with what the Material Girl termed “the hardest but most thrilling and challenging show I’ve ever done.”
- May 13-17, 2013 – Madonna goes wild on Instagram, teasing more pictures of the MDNA Tour DVD:
- May 16, 2013 - the first official teaser for the EPIX Broadcast of the DVD was released.
- May 17, 2013 - Entertainment Tonight released a nearly 2 minute clip from the performance of Give Me All Your Luvin.
- May 19, 2013 – Before Madonna accepted her Billboard Award for top touring artist, a full trailer for the MDNA Tour DVD Aired. That night she confirmed to EXTRA that the tour DVD will be released in September!